Feb 5, 2010

February 5, 2010 A Special Day

Today my father, William Arnold, would have celebrated his 88th birthday. Just hours before he made his transition, he wanted us to take pictures of all of us together, and he managed a big smile. This is my favorite image of that smile.
 
From my earliest memories he recorded the daily events of our lives with his Kodak. He bought one of the first Polaroids. I can still smell the chemicals and feel the magic of watching  the image magically appear on paper from just a few minutes earlier! Dad also recorded holidays and birthdays with his 35 mm movie camera.
 
He was a fastidious keeper of diaries, and always urged me to write down the day's events. He sent me his weekly entries right up until his last hospitalization. Each day was important, and each life significant.
 
Thanks to my father, I have a vast archive of imagery to draw upon for inspiration. He would be proud to see the hundreds of photos and pages of journal entries that I use in my drawings and paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment